I have more than 25 years experience dealing with building conservation projects at all levels, as a practitioner, planner and, for 16 years until 2015 as a Local Authority Conservation Officer in Devon. During that time, I worked for Dartmoor National Park Authority, West Devon Borough Council and South Hams District Council as well as doing consultancy work privately and for other local authorities.
Between 1986-88 and 1993-1998 I lived in Spain, working on conservation projects as plasterer, advisor and supervisor, and carrying out 2 research projects (examining the 1980s conservation planning policies in Valencia; and the problems caused by cement render in building rehabilitation in the medieval centre of Valencia). In between those two periods, I studied Town and Country Planning and Architectural Conservation in Edinburgh and worked as a Town Planner in Scotland for three years.
With this varied experience, I have in-depth knowledge of historic building construction and conservation, of the planning system as it affects listed buildings and other historic places, and of best practice for repair, design, adaptation and enhancement. I also understand the day-to-day realities and ongoing decision-making involved in managing a building project. Conservation, for me, has never been about dogmas or formulae; it is about getting to know the unique character or each building or place and working sensitively with it. Normally, some kind of change is perfectly reasonable and desirable, but in an age of high labour costs and modern materials and techniques, it is also easy to cause great damage.
Whatever the size of your conservation project, I can help you find the best solution, move things forward and help it through the planning system. I know what should be acceptable, what is required in an application and how best to present it.I may also be able to assist where your application has been unsuccessful. Just get in touch to discuss. With my help, your project can run smoothly and speedily with a great outcome.
Here are some examples of the kind of assistance I can offer:
- Preparation of Heritage Statements, Heritage Impact Assessments, Historic Building Appraisals, Conservation Plans, etc.
- Preparation and submission of heritage-related planning or Listed Building Consent applications.
- Advice on how to proceed through the planning system
- Discussions with the local planning authority at pre-application stage
- Negotiation with local government officers and architects
- Advice on appropriate repair methods to historic buildings
- Design input on heritage-sensitive schemes.
- Insight into the history of your listed building
- Fluent in Spanish and conversant with Spanish planning and conservation systems. I can help your conservation project in Spain